My older son likes seeing cities at night, so we finished up the outing with a visit to the top of the Sam Houston State University parking garage. Here is a panorama of the town from the north side of the garage:
I used a free program called Hugin to create the panorama. It matches up and aligns the individual images, "distorting" them as needed to make them fit together. The program worked fine until the last step, where it was supposed to stitch the modified images together. Fortunately, it wrote the images to disk, and I was able to put them together myself in Paint.NET.
Visible in this image, from left to right, are:
- A loblolly pine tree.
- The shopping center at Ave Q and 11th Street.
- The First National Bank Building.
- First United Methodist Church (with a star on top).
- The Square, including the Walker County Courthouse.
- First Baptist Church (with the white steeple).
- The (infamous) Huntsville Unit, including the old rodeo arena.