Saturday, July 25, 2015

Waxing Moon, July 24, 2015

The Moon, July 24, 2015; ST80 w/CB on Vixen SP
38 images, ISO-100, 1/160 second exposures

This is my first attempt at imaging the Moon using the new Baader Contrast Booster filter. When I image the Moon with the ST80, I generally use the stop-down adapter that's built into the dust cap. This reduces chromatic aberration, yielding a sharper image with a less-pronounced red/blue halo surrounding the Moon. The disadvantage to using the adapter is that it greatly reduces the telescope's aperture, which reduces the amount of detail in the image.

This image was made without using the stop-down adapter. It was stacked in RegiStax 5.1 and processed in Photoshop CS6. There were some color anomalies, but I hid them by slightly desaturating the image and adjusting the curves a bit. The ST80 certainly doesn't capture the Moon's color characteristics as well as the Epsilon 200, but overall I'm pleased with what the filter can do.

Next, I may try using a Barlow to get a closer view.

No comments:

Post a Comment