Sunday, August 12, 2012

Messier 11 and Messier 27

I imaged these two objects while watching the Perseid meteor shower the other night.

Messier 11 is an open cluster in the constellation Scutum. It's common name, the Wild Duck Cluster, is derived from a triangular formation of stars in the cluster that supposedly resembles a formation of ducks. I don't see it. All I see is a sea turtle. Or Robin Hood.

Messier 11, the Wild Duck Cluster; Epsilon-200 on NJP Mount; 10x180
Messier 27, the Dumbbell Nebula, was the first object that I imaged with the Epsilon-200. I was able to get more of the red to come out in this version:

Messier 27, the Dumbbell Nebula; Epsilon-200 on NJP Mount; 15x180

3 comments:

  1. Nice. I was hoping you'd have something to share from the Perseid event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I spent a good part of the night fiddling with the telescope to improve its performance, and never got around to trying to photograph the meteors (I only have the one DSLR). But I did see a lot of pretty meteors! How about you? Did you get out to a dark site somewhere?

      Delete
  2. Very nice, Rory! Glad the NJP is working well again!

    ReplyDelete